Monday, March 12, 2012

Pain below sternum after drinking alcohol?

I've never really been a drinker. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've had alcohol, and I've never even been drunk. So anyways, I've noticed that when I have had a drink or two, I get this horrible pain just below my sternum. The 2 major times I remember about, I had a few jello shots one night, and the other time was after I had part of some fruity 'shark' drink from Joe's Crab Shack. I've been doing a little research and from what it sounds like, it could just be acid reflux from the alcohol. Has anybody had this before? What is the best way to fix it? I don't really care to drink a lot, but I would like to have one or two every once in a while without being afraid I'll get this pain again. Any advice?Pain below sternum after drinking alcohol?
with chest pain you always want to make sure it's not cardiac related. if your pain is reproducible with alcohol, has a burning sensation, occurs shortly after drinking alcohol then most likely it is GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease. there are some options for GERD. 1) don't lay down after alcohol, but keep yourself upright so as to allow gravity to keep the acid down. 2) avoid alcohol (not the answer you're looking for I realize). 3) take an antacid such as TUMS after drinking to keep the acid content of your stomach low. 4) take an antacid such as Pepcid before you drink to keep the acid production of your stomach low. 5) other drug options. 6) imaging and surgery in really bad cases is possible (you don't sound like you fit this bill).



all that being said, depending on your age and other risk factors you should still get yourself to a doctor just to make sure it's not anything cardiac related. judging by your photo, you're mid-30's, which is a plus in terms of risk-factors. Regardless, a professional should evaluate you in person as that is safest.

No comments:

Post a Comment