Monday, March 12, 2012

How much of a life, away from my daughter, is too much to have? Or even too little?

My husband is on his second tour in Iraq and I'm a stay-at-home mom. I'm not in school or doing anything else outside the home...when I say "stay-at-home" I mean that quite literally. During his first deployment, I had no life outside the home. I went out if I needed to (grocery shopping, doctor appointment, etc), but that's it. I was always with my daughter. Even after my husband came back from Iraq, we didn't really go out much...we were homebodies. Now during this deployment, I've started to have a social life. I'm not much for drinking, although I've done it a couple of times (never to the point of being drunk...two is my limit). Most of the time I go out to dinner with a friend, but I've been bowling, mini golfing, to the movies, and even rock climbing. My mother is staying with me while my husband is gone, so when I go out with a friend, or friends, she watches my two year old daughter for me. I know having a life away from her doesn't make me a bad parent, but I feel so horribly guilty every time I leave...like I'm abandoning her. This past week, for example, I went to a movie one on Tuesday and last night I went to Joe's Crab Shack. Maybe I go out too much? How often is too often for me to hang out with a friend, or friends? Twice a week? Once a week? Once every two weeks?How much of a life, away from my daughter, is too much to have? Or even too little?
That is perfectly acceptable! Every mommy needs some me time and it's great that your daughter gets to spend quality time with her grandmother. If you did work outside the home your daughter would be with a sitter right? That's a lot more time that going out for a couple hours here and there! And she doesn't have to do that so enjoy yourself now and again!
i think you should only go out once a week , and as your kid gets older you can go out more and more :)How much of a life, away from my daughter, is too much to have? Or even too little?
How old is your daughter? If she's two or older, I don't see a problem with you going out twice a week as long as it's within a few hours of her bedtime (like if she goes to bed at 9, then don't go out before 7..just an example). I understand that you need your space (I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids..preggo with the 3rd). Don't feel guilty about leaving. You're not leaving her night and day, it's just for a few hours. Everyone needs time to themselves, even (gasp) moms. Just don't make it a nightly thing otherwise your daughter may start to feel rejected. Also, make sure to do fun things outside the home with her during the day so that way she doesn't start to feel jealous that mommy gets to go out and she doesn't. Good luck and I hope this helps
You want your daughter to grow up to know that her mom loves her, but you also want her to think that you are an amazing and capable woman who pursues her interests and passions. At least I do. I love my children (2 %26amp; 4), but I also enjoy running, hiking, theatre, attend Bible study, and have a social life. I would caution you against going out with male friends, especially while your husband is deployed, but there's no reason to stay home all the time. You know that your daughter is being well cared for by your mother. So she's not in any physical danger. The time apart from you may actually be a good thing for her so she's not too dependant on you and is unable to socialize with others or develops an unhealthy attachment. Start with a playgroup where she interacts with others and you get out and get to talk to other moms (and maintain your sanity) once a week and go out one evening a week for adult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment