Monday, March 12, 2012

Dining/going out with someone who hates tipping...?

When I go out to eat or go to the bar I always tip, it may not be generous but due to the fact that I was a waitress for two years I'd have a guilty conscience if I were to leave without tipping anything. Sometimes my brother's gf will go out with me, and she hates it when I tip whether the service was good or bad. We went out to eat at joes crab shack the other day and the bill was $100, and she told me not to tip! I was like the bill is $100, are you serious? Of course I tipped to her dismay. This happened on many occasions though, one time she even swiped the money off the table without me knowing! I left like idunno 2 bucks -which is better than nothing considering how rude the waitress was to us and how long she made us wait (the people who came after us got thier food first!). I guess I could stop inviting her to places but aside from her being stingy I do enjoy her company, and I could casually explain to her that waitresses/bartenders do rely on tips but she has in her head where regardless of the service they provide- they don't deserve tips. Any other suggestions or advice?



P.S. I still intend on leaving tips no matter how much she (or anyone for that matter) despises it, so fret not my fellow servers- there are still decent people like myself in this world ; ) heheheDining/going out with someone who hates tipping...?
You can't change her mind so don't bother talking to her about it. Tipping is voluntary so you will come across as obnoxious if you keep trying to get her to do it your way.



The solution is simple:



When you are the host, you pay and tip as you see fit. Tip on a card instead of leaving cash. Do not discuss the bill or tip with her - it really is none of her business.



When she is the host, you leave the paying up to her. The bill and/or tip (or lack thereof) really is none of your business.



If you go Dutch (share the bill) just ask for separate checks and tip how you wish. Again, do not discuss the bill. Each of your bills and tips are PRIVATE.



If you can't stand the thought that your server will not get tipped, do not go out with her if she is hosting. Either YOU be the host or at the very least get separate checks.
I would tell her before going out there will be a tip and there will be no complaining about it. You two can agree on a fair tip when it comes time to tip.



You are right to tip when the service is bad. But tipping and walking away is only part of it. Leave a tip and then politely give the manager your feedback about how things went. Managers want to know these things because they don't want people to never come back.Dining/going out with someone who hates tipping...?
I too am a piss poor tipper
Understand her point of view, and let her understand yours.

If she mentions anything when you're about to tip, just tell

her that it bothers you when she says things like that. Tell

her she has nothing to worry about, because the money is

not coming out of her pocket, it's coming from yours. When

you go shopping, people can't tell you what you can't buy,

it's the same idea here. It's your money, you can do what

ever you want with it. Tell her if she can't accept that, then

maybe you should order in like pizza and tip them before

she comes over, or make some homemade meals and have

a movie night. It'll be less of a hassle that way.
Yes sit down with her but don't say that staff rely on tips - just say that you realise that she doesn't like tipping but you do and she can't force her opinion onto you. As for leaving tips on the table when she's around - give the tip direct to the staff so she can't take it from the table.



She has to realise that her opinion is that and she can't expect her friends to follow her beliefs.



KD
Some good suggestions here, I especially like BBG's ideas. One other suggestion: you can have a talk with your friend ahead of time, and let her know that you feel uncomfortable with her behavior in public and that you won't be able to go out with her any longer if she continues it. You can still see her, but just in private. Good luck!
Just split the checks.



Then you can tip however much you want on your bill, and she can tip (or not) however much she wants on her bill.



If the waitstaff has issue with the tips (or lack thereof), this allows them to take it up with the appropriate guest and adjust their service accordingly for the next time.



As you were once a waitress for two years, you probably remembered the good tippers and the bad tippers. Why should the restaurant staff be rude to you just because someone else in your group is too cheap to tip appropriately?
Does she know that the prices of the food reflect the fact that the restaurant doesn't have to pay their servers more than $2.13/hr, which is precisely enough to cover taxes and social security? And if she leaves no tip then they make NOTHING for serving her?



If that's not enough to soften her hard heart, remind her of this: Servers tend to be a little vindictive toward people who stiff them, and they have great memories due to their job requirements. They also see your food before you do. If she isn't too keen on the idea of eating something from the trash can or the floor, or something someone has spit in or worse, then she'd better reconsider her little statements she thinks she's making by not tipping. She's the one who's going to wind up suffering for it, even more than the servers she stiffs.



To the stupid morons who gave me thumbs down: Don't it SUCK when you realize your cheapass ways have probably resulted in you consuming all sorts of nasty **** over the years? It never occurred to you that those poor waiters and waitresses you stiffed might seek revenge? Damn you're dumb, ain't you?? It ain't my fault you decided to be a cheapskate, though. I just tell it like it is.
My first night staying with my new roommate she asked me to answer the door and pay the delivery man. I asked why. She said "I'm not giving a tip."

No comments:

Post a Comment