Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why is soft shell crab so rare in restaurants?

I love soft shell crab. But I live in the midwest so it's hard to find any at all around here. I'm just wondering why it's so rare. Why doesn't red lobster or joe's crab shack ever sell soft shell crab? It seems like they serve every other type of seafood imaginable, yet not softshell crab, why?Why is soft shell crab so rare in restaurants?
My husband being from New Orleans says they are only available seasonally. They have to lose their shell exposing the soft shell. They only do that periodically.
I am a former chef and when molting they are harvested and served, it is a seasonal thing and some places have no time to clean them nor do they know how to serve or prepare them.



When I did it I opened the shell, removed the lungs, dipped them in buttermilk, and seasoned flour with a bit of cornmeal and cornflour in it, pan fried in a oil/butter mix, then served with a spicy tarter sauce.Why is soft shell crab so rare in restaurants?
Low demand for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment