Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How much do you make in tips as a waitress?

I live in Iowa and want to work at a fairly busy restaurant. I've applied at Famous Dave's, Biaggi's, Rock Bottom, Joe's Crab Shack, Old Chicago, PF Chang's, and a couple others. All of these are pretty busy restaurants in my area. Can anyone share with me how much they made in tips if they worked as a waiter or waitress at any of these restaurants, or even if you worked at a different restaurant? I'm just looking to see if this would be a good job for me and my expenses. Thanks!!How much do you make in tips as a waitress?
Heh, I used to be a waitress in Iowa for 18 years until 2004. I hope they pay more than $4 an hour now, which is possible since those are corporately owned chains. Tips, mine ranged from $8 on slow nights to over $120 on good nights. The only generalism with waitressing is that you don't get the good shifts (weekend nights) right off the bat. One of the waitressing jobs I had during weekday lunch usually netted me $2 in change since everyone was so cheap during lunch. It was a miracle to actually see a one dollar bill at lunch. I'm guessing though you'll have better customers since it seems like you're in one of the metro areas. Good luck, waitressing can be very lucrative if you love what you do. My best day/night got me over $600.
It really depends on who you are serving and how you treat the customer. Also, if you are a female and you work at a place where alcohol is served and there is a bar, most likely you will get more tips from the males ;)How much do you make in tips as a waitress?
lowwwww dont do it
it is not very high but get a better job than that
That depends on a lot of things actually. Those are all good chain restaurants, so it would seem like they would be good choices. You'll make more money on the weekend, more people dine out then. . Its hard work, but if you give great service, you can make decent money. Be friendly, keep a good pace, check on your customers often. Most places have waitresses on a shift for 4-6 hours. Depending on how busy it is on any given night, Id say you can make anywhere from $40-100 per night, if not more on the weekends. Times that by how many nights you work and that's your weekly income. Dont rely on paychecks, most servers only make around $2.50 an hour. Its hard to figure out a budget doing this job though, because the pay isnt steady, every night is different. Hope it works out for you and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment